What are injections to the head and neck?
Injections to the head and neck are performed as diagnostic and pain treatments. For example, the stellate ganglion block is an injection of numbing medicine to block the sympathetic nerves on either side of the voice box. This treatment is performed to reduce pain and swelling and may also improve mobility in the upper extremities.
Why choose Dr. Seifert?
- Dr. Heidi Seifert specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic pain, utilizing the latest evidence-based nonsurgical and minimally-invasive techniques.
- She is a compassionate, high tech doctor who performs state-of-the-art treatments to relieve pain and improve function.
- Dr. Seifert focuses on whole-body health and uses regenerative techniques to stimulate natural healing.
Am I a good candidate for head and neck injections in Houston and Bellaire, Texas?
You may be a good candidate for head an neck injections if you have problems in the upper extremities, such as pain, swelling, color, sweating changes, or impaired mobility. Stellate ganglion block injections may be recommended to diagnose the source of or treat pain in the head, neck, chest, or arms caused by:
- Sympathetically maintained pain
- Nerve injury
- Decreased blood flow to the heart
What can I expect with injections for the head and neck?
For the stellate ganglion procedure in Houston or Bellaire, Texas, you will be lying on your back with a pillow placed under your shoulder blades. Your neck will be cleaned with antiseptic, and then the doctor will inject the medication into your neck slowly, using a very small needle. Once the medication is injected, the needle is removed. You will remain in the recovery area for monitoring for approximately 40 to 60 minutes after the procedure.
Is there any recovery after head and neck injections in Houston or Bellaire, Texas?
Arrange for someone to drive you home after the procedure, as you will not be able to drive for the remainder of the day. You will not be able to eat or drink anything for four hours until you regain your ability to swallow safely. After that, you may resume your regular diet and return to normal activities the day after treatment.
Who is not a good candidate for head and neck injections in Houston or Bellaire, Texas?
A stellate ganglion block cannot be performed on anyone who:
- Has an active infection, cold, flu, or fever
- Has very high blood pressure
- Is taking blood thinners
Be sure to inform Dr. Seifert if any of these conditions apply to you.