What are regenerative knee treatments?
Regenerative treatments for the knee are performed to repair damaged tissues, reduce inflammation, slow tissue degeneration, and decrease knee pain caused by various conditions.
Am I a candidate for regenerative knee treatments in Houston?
Regenerative medicine treatments use the body’s natural healing capacity to speed up recovery. You may be a candidate for regenerative treatments of the knee if you are suffering from knee pain caused by:
- Medial or lateral meniscus tears
- Chondromalacia patella (runner’s knee)
- Tendon injuries
- ACL, MCL, or LCL ligament sprains or tears
What should I expect with regenerative treatments for the knee?
Your exact procedure will depend on the type of regenerative treatment performed. For example:
- PRP injections: A small amount of your blood is drawn and spun in a centrifuge to separate the platelet-rich plasma (PRP) from the red and white blood cells. PRP is then injected into a specific area of the knee to repair damaged tissue and reduce pain. Platelets release growth factors – substances required to stimulate growth in living cells.
- Prolotherapy: This treatment works by temporarily increasing inflammation to stimulate natural tissue repair in the body. It involves multiple injections of an irritant, such as dextrose solution, into the knee joint and surrounding tissues. You may receive approximately 15 to 20 injections in a treatment session.
- BMAC: Bone marrow aspirate concentrate (BMAC) is taken from your pelvic bone using a small needle under local anesthetic and placed in a high-tech, specialized processing unit that concentrates the stem cells, platelets, and growth factors. BMAC is then collected in a sterile syringe and injected into a specific area of the injured knee. Stem cells can transform into different types of cells to help rebuild damaged muscles, tendons, ligaments, and tissue.
- LIPOGEMS: This is an FDA-approved, minimally-invasive procedure that can be performed in approximately one hour. It uses fat to promote healing and provide a cushion for damaged tissue. State-of-the-art technology is used to harvest, concentrate, and transfer your own fat to the injured knee. Under local anesthesia, adipose tissue (fat)) is taken from your abdomen through a small incision in the skin. The fat is purified and injected into the affected knee.
Is there any downtime after regenerative knee treatment in Bellaire?
You may experience minor bruising, swelling, and tenderness at the site of the injection, and at the collection site after BMAC, for a few days after treatment. Regenerative knee treatments are performed on an outpatient basis. In most cases, you can return home and resume your normal activities the same day. You should notice an improvement in your condition within a few weeks after treatment.
Why choose Dr. Heidi Seifert?
- Dr. Seifert practices medicine with a focus on whole-body health. In addition to diagnostic and therapeutic pain relief procedures, we offer physical therapy, weight loss programs, and functional rejuvenation.
- Our treatment plans often include referrals to acupuncture, chiropractic, physical therapy, or pain psychology, for a comprehensive, individualized approach to healing.
- Dr. Seifert specializes in diagnosing and treating acute and chronic pain, using the latest, evidence-based nonsurgical, and minimally-invasive techniques to reduce pain and improve function.