Why choose Dr. Seifert for hip injections?
- Dr. Heidi Seifert is an interventional anesthesiologist in Houston whose primary interests are in diagnostic and therapeutic injections and state-of-the-art regenerative techniques.
- She utilizes evidence-based medicine to promote regeneration and healing of pain generators in the joints, musculoskeletal system, and spine.
- We treat individuals suffering from acute or chronic pain with compassion and high-tech, using the latest techniques.
Am I a good candidate for hip injections in Houston?
If you have pain that stems from inflammation of the hip joint, you may be a good candidate for hip injections. Inflammation may result from arthritis, stress, or injury to the joint. Hip injections may be recommended if you have not responded to other conservative treatments, such as rest, physical therapy, or anti-inflammatory medications. Dr. Seifert may recommend an injection of anesthetic into the hip joint to help diagnose the source of your pain. You may be a candidate for injection of a mixture of anesthetic and steroids if you have gluteal, psoas, or trochanteric bursitis – inflammation and swelling of the bursa in the hips (fluid-filled sacs that help tendons and muscles glide over bones).
What can I expect in a hip injection procedure?
- Your hip injection procedure may be performed with the guidance of fluoroscopy (live X-ray).
- You will lie face down on a table, and the skin over your hip will be cleaned.
- The doctor will numb a small area of your skin, then direct a very small needle into the joint, using fluoroscopy guidance.
- Contrast dye will be injected to confirm that the medication will reach only the joint.
- A small mixture of anesthetic and steroids is then slowly injected into the hip joint.